I read on Facebook the other day one of my friends had posted about preserving the carved pumpkins so that they don't rot out so quickly. It said to use bleach after you carve your pumpkin. All you need to do is dip it in a large container of bleach and water. It supposedly will make it stay fresh and last longer. It also said that after it dries to brush on a mix of vinegar, lemon juice and water to the pumpkin. (1 quart water, 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 T vinegar)
I'm going to give it a try this Halloween season and see if it works. Mine usually rot out so quickly after I carve them so it's worth a try. Has anyone tried this before and had success?