Image Source: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Abies_koreana_%28szyszki%29.JPG/230px-Abies_koreana_%28szyszki%29.JPG
The Fir Tree is an evergreen cone-bearing tree that belongs to the genus Abies of the pine family, Pinaceae. Here are the most common varieties and commercial uses of Fir Tree.
Uses of the Wood which is white to pale brown in color:
1. It is used for boxes, barrels, doors and, sashes.
2. The wood is used in interior construction.
3. It is used in papermaking.
4. Firs are used as pulp or for the manufacture of plywood and rough timber.
Use of the Leaves:
1. Fragrant Fir leaves are used in pillows.
Uses of Canada Balsam:
1. It is used as transparent adhesive in joining lenses.
2. It is used in mounting objects to be studied under the microscope.
Other Uses of Firs
1. Firs are used as food plants by the some Lepidoptera species of caterpillars.
2. Nordman Fir, Noble Fir, Fraser Fir and Balsam Fir are popular Christmas trees.
3 Many Fir species, such as Korean Fir and Fraser Fir, are used as decorative garden trees. These varieties produced brightly colored cones.
There are more than 50 species of Firs 10 of which are endemic to North America. Here are the most notable species of Firs.
Balsam Fir – it can grow to a height of 18 meters and produces a resin called Canada Balsam.
Noble Fir – it can attain a height of 60 meters.
Giant Fir – which is also known as Grand Fir can reach a height of up to 90 meters. Its trunk can reach a diameter of 1.8 meters.
I hope you liked this post. Thank you!